Teacher skills for a resume / CV, plus what skills are needed to become a teacher?
It takes all kinds of backgrounds, cultures, skills and people to be teachers and so every teacher's resume / CV will be slightly different from their colleague's.
However, there are a common group of teacher skills that are applicable to most people within the teaching profession.
FREE Report: Is your Resume letting you down?: How to dramatically improve your resume.
Specific Teacher Skills for a Resume / CV
The skills for a preschool teacher are obviously slightly different than the skills needed to become a good elementary teacher, but there are similarities. So what skills are needed to become a teacher and what skills should you put on your resume / CV:
- Proven ability to stand in front of groups of children and present class materials and tutorials; good communication skills with other adults (colleagues) and children of differing ages.
- Most teachers specialise in particular subjects so make sure you detail which subjects you have taught and are currently teaching.
- The age group you teach and have previously taught will also need to feature on your resume / CV; it may be a good idea to personalise this experience by saying that you treat each student as an individual and that your style can cater for students of all abilities and that you use different teaching and learning styles (interactive whiteboard teaching, group work, etc.).
- Illustrate that you enjoy and have experience of working under pressure to meet targets, and that you can handle challenging environments.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills; ability to put together lesson plans and prepare required materials for classes of different skills and year groups.
- All teachers tend to need good pastoral skills in order to meet the requirement of personal care for tutor groups and helping those with special needs or problems at any given time. Heads of Year or those aspiring to Heads of Year positions will need to give greater detail on their resume / CV regarding their pastoral responsibilities.
- If you've management experience, then definitely include this experience (even if it's from a first career) as these are certainly skills which will stand you in good stead; budget and strategic responsibilities in your current and previous teaching management positions will require details and proven results of your experience.
- If you're an English teacher but also have responsibility for some of the Drama extra curricular activities such as a talent show, then definitely put these details on your resume / CV. Recruiters and potential schools will want to know how far you've proved that you enjoy school life by the extra responsibilities you take on (for little or no extra pay). This applies to anyone who is in charge of the under 14's football team. Head teachers always like to see teachers who are willing to go that extra mile for the school on a holistic basis.
- Any experience you have at maximising departmental budgets will be an absolute winner in terms of your resume / CV so do not be afraid to blow your own trumpet if an idea you had, was put into action and resulted in a cost saving for your department at your current school. Head teachers will love seeing this kind of information as it shows your ability to think laterally and help to make sure every pound of the budget is extended.
- Finally, if you are head of department or have overall responsibility for particular sections of a school (such as gifted and talented students), then do specify your results especially if you've managed to improve results during your time at the school.
- FREE Report: How to drastically improve your resume
- Want an interview-winning CV / resume? Our professional CV writing service can dramatically improve your chances of securing the job you desire
- How to write a resume index page
- Example resumes
- How to make a resume
- Free Resume Templates
- Free Cover Letter Samples and Resume Templates
- Which resume / CV format will work best for you?
- How to write a profile / summary for your resume / CV that will grab the reader's attention
- How to highlight your achievements on your resume / CV and improve your interview chances
- Sample resume objectives - Why use resume objective statements?
- Outline to make a resume
- Free Resume Formats
- Sample Teacher Resume
- Teacher Resume Templates
- Kindergarten Teacher Resume / Preschool Teacher Resume
- Elementary Teacher Resume Samples Examples
- Secondary / Middle School Teacher Resume
- Teacher's Assistant Resume
- Resume buzzwords and resume key words
- Teacher Skills For Resume
- Pharmaceutical Sales Resume Samples
- Special Event Co-ordinator Resume
- Project Manager Resume / CV