Sample Teacher Resume
You will find plenty of samples and templates to help you produce a teacher resume. This article covers the format, profile and major achievements sections.
As well reading this article you may also want to take a look at:
FREE Report: Is your Resume letting you down?: How to dramatically improve your resume.
When putting together a teacher resume, it is important to make it come to life and give an accurate reflection of who you are, rather than reading simply like a standard job description that could be written by any teacher. This means outlining not just your responsibilities, which will clearly be shared by the vast majority of others applying for the same roles as you, but also your major achievements along the way, as well as giving a flavor of your key strengths and what motivates you as an individual.
Teacher Resume Objectives
When you write a teacher resume you should always write it with a clear resume objective in mind, whether you are now seeking a career change, a promotion or just a similar job. You do not necessarily have to state your resume objectives on your resume, but you must ensure that your resume is consistent with your resume objectives.
Format for a Teacher Resume
To create a strong initial impression and to present yourself to your best advantage, you will need to plan not just the content, but also the layout, of your resume very carefully. An effective way of formatting your resume is to break the body of the text down into a few carefully crafted sections, along the following lines:
- Immediately following your personal details at the top of your resume, create a box section entitled "Profile", summarizing your key skills, talents and experience.
- Follow this profile with a new section entitled "Major Achievements", listing four or five of your most notable achievements.
- Then create a further section entitled "Employment History", presented in reverse chronological order (i.e. most recent first) and focusing primarily on your more recent and more senior roles.
- Finally, set out your educational background and qualifications (your bachelor's degree, approved teacher training program and license details), together with any other potentially relevant information, such as foreign language ability or IT skills.
Sample Teacher Resume Profile
This section should be written with your desired role in mind, so that the language you use reflects the type of experience and personal profile sought by your target employers. In two or three punchy sentences, you should summarize your work experience, key skills, qualifications and personal characteristics, in a way that captures the reader's attention and encourages them to read on with interest.
This section should highlight the number of years' relevant experience you have, your particular subject specialization, the age groups you have taught and the range of school environments to which you have had exposure. It should also summarize the skills and talents that make you particularly good at your job, which might include some of the following: the ability to inspire trust and confidence in your students; the ability to respond effectively to the differing educational and emotional needs of your students; the ability to communicate effectively with students, parents and fellow professionals alike; the ability to manage challenging behavior; or the ability to work effectively with a diverse student population, employing a range of teaching methods to ensure higher student achievement.
You should also highlight your most relevant personal qualities, for example: a genuine interest in helping not just the most talented but also the less able to achieve their full potential; the ability to remain calm and patient under pressure; high levels of creativity; strong organizational, administrative and record-keeping skills; a passion for your subject and a commitment to remaining up-to-date with new developments in your field; a strong interest in educational issues and a keen desire to pass on knowledge.
You could also draw attention to any achievements that would be particularly attractive to a potential employer and perhaps give an indication of your career aspirations, such as the desire to move to a larger school or to teach in a more culturally diverse environment.
Before setting out your key responsibilities in your current and previous roles, a bullet point summary of your most relevant achievements will help to focus the reader on what you have to offer. This section should be worded so as to provide potential employers with a clear image of the positive results achieved and your personal contribution to those results.
Areas to highlight here might include involvement in turning around difficult classroom situations, helping under-performing students to achieve their full potential or responding effectively to the demands of a culturally diverse student population. You should also draw attention to any innovative methods of teaching you may have introduced that have contributed to improved student performance.
- FREE Report: How to drastically improve your resume
- Want an interview-winning CV / resume? Our professional CV writing service can dramatically improve your chances of securing the job you desire
- How to write a resume index page
- Example resumes
- How to make a resume
- Free Resume Templates
- Free Cover Letter Samples and Resume Templates
- Which resume / CV format will work best for you?
- How to write a profile / summary for your resume / CV that will grab the reader's attention
- How to highlight your achievements on your resume / CV and improve your interview chances
- Sample resume objectives - Why use resume objective statements?
- Outline to make a resume
- Free Resume Formats
- Sample Teacher Resume
- Teacher Resume Templates
- Kindergarten Teacher Resume / Preschool Teacher Resume
- Elementary Teacher Resume Samples Examples
- Secondary / Middle School Teacher Resume
- Teacher's Assistant Resume
- Resume buzzwords and resume key words
- Teacher Skills For Resume
- Pharmaceutical Sales Resume Samples
- Special Event Co-ordinator Resume
- Project Manager Resume / CV